The Last of Us: Part 1 headlines Summer Game Fest
ORIGINAL SOURCE LINK
Alongside rumoured then leaked remake, reveals included Goat Simulator 3, Flashback 2 and Aliens: Dark Descent
PlayStation’s The Last of Us: Part 1 capped off this year’s Summer Game Fest, rounding off two hours of game reveals and previews.
Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann joined host and organiser Geoff Keighley on stage to discuss more about the upcoming TV adaptation of The Last of Us, produced in partnership with HBO, and the upcoming multiplayer title.
Druckmann said the studio is “not quite ready” to show off this game, which began as a multiplayer mode for 2020’s The Last of Us: Part 2 and has since become one of the upcoming live service titles Sony is betting heavily on.
Then Druckmann confirmed what has previously been rumoured and, earlier today, leaked: The original The Last of Us has been remade from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and launches on September 2.
The Last of Us: Part 1 is also in development for PC, continuing Sony’s expansion beyond its own consoles.
As Keighley had warned earlier this week, the bulk of the showcase was dedicated to titles that had already been announced and/or dated, instead focusing on showing fresh footage or releasing new details ahead of launch.
Big name titles featured included:
- Street Fighter 6, which see the return of previous character Guile
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, with Activision showing off most of a mission
- Marvel’s Midnight Suns, with character reveals including Venom and Spider-Man
- Saints Row, which launched a free demo, Boss Factory, enabling players to create their character ahead of the game’s August 23 release
There were a handful of brand new game reveals as well:
- Coffee Stain showed the teaser trailer for Goat Simulator 3, which comes to console and PC this autumn
- Focus Entertainment is publishing Aliens: Dark Descent, a squad-based shooter based on the popular sci-fi movies
- Microids is releasing Flashback 2 in winter 2022 — the first sequel to the 1992 platform game
- Frost Giant Studios unveiled Stormgate, a brand new real-time strategy IP, with beta tests planned for 2023
- Bloober Team is now working with Anshar Studios on Layers of Fears, the third entry in its horror series, which is being made with Unreal Engine 5 and will launch in early 2023
- Demagog Studio’s Highwater premiered, with the post-apocalyptic indie adventure due later in 2022.
- Fallen Leaf and Black Drakkar Games debuted their sci-fi thriller Fort Solis
You can find more of the reveals during Summer Game Fest, and the other showcases this week, in our roundup of all the announcements.
The event ended with Keighley announcing next year’s Summer Game Fest will also be an in-person event as well as digital, placing it in direct competition with E3.